[Techtalk] recommendations for distros wanted

Amanda Babcock Furrow alb at quandary.org
Sun Mar 24 05:30:08 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 07:36:55AM +1000, Miriam English wrote:
> I just re-read my original question and realised my description of DirIcon
> is awfully ambiguous.
>
> A DirIcon is an ordinary picture file (jpg/png/svg/bmp/gif/xpm/ppm/...) with
> the special name ".DirIcon". Its picture replaces the default icon for the
> particular folder it is in.

I am pretty sure the reason for the resounding silence on this is that
AppDirs seem to be a ROX invention, and not all that common to run across.
While I have used Puppy Linux, I used the command line for all my file
management needs and don't recall using ROX-Filer.

In support of the possibility that they are a ROX-only feature, when I
googled "appdir and diricon", I found a page
(https://docs.appimage.org/reference/appdir.html) in which they do mention
that ROX-Filer created the AppDir concept.  (AppImage uses AppDirs, but
not as part of a file manager, rather as a sort of binary package delivery
system.)

I'm glad that you found a fixed version.

Thanks,
Amanda Furrow