[Techtalk] recommendations for distros wanted

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sun Mar 24 07:16:06 UTC 2019

Thanks Amanda. I was beginning to come to the same conclusion. It's a
pity. Oh well, no worries. :)

Yep, I'd found the AppImage page too.

I guess my answer is that I can use any distro and run Rox (the fixed
version) as the file manager, letting me get a bigger, more modern OS,
and still have my Rox environment.  I guess, in retrospect, I should
really have asked about file managers... Thunar, Konqueror, Midnight
Commander, Krusader, PCMan File Manager, Nemo, Dolphin...

Good grief! I just found an article -- "30 Best Linux File Managers as
of 2019"... so many!
Well, perhaps that's the best thing and the worst thing about Linux. :)

Best wishes,

     - Miriam

Amanda Babcock Furrow wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 07:36:55AM +1000, Miriam English wrote:
>> I just re-read my original question and realised my description of DirIcon
>> is awfully ambiguous.
>>
>> A DirIcon is an ordinary picture file (jpg/png/svg/bmp/gif/xpm/ppm/...) with
>> the special name ".DirIcon". Its picture replaces the default icon for the
>> particular folder it is in.
> I am pretty sure the reason for the resounding silence on this is that
> AppDirs seem to be a ROX invention, and not all that common to run across.
> While I have used Puppy Linux, I used the command line for all my file
> management needs and don't recall using ROX-Filer.
>
> In support of the possibility that they are a ROX-only feature, when I
> googled "appdir and diricon", I found a page
> (https://docs.appimage.org/reference/appdir.html) in which they do mention
> that ROX-Filer created the AppDir concept.  (AppImage uses AppDirs, but
> not as part of a file manager, rather as a sort of binary package delivery
> system.)
>
> I'm glad that you found a fixed version.
>
> Thanks,
> Amanda Furrow

The only person that you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.
  -- Ain Eineziz