[Techtalk] Unreadable(?) pdf files

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sat Mar 12 22:29:41 UTC 2016

David, I just noticed this online:
http://www.zamzar.com/convert/cdr-to-pdf/
It purports to be a free online tool to convert cdr files to pdf. I
haven't used it and don't really know anything about it, but perhaps it
may be of use.

Apparently there is also a commandline tool called uniconvertor
uniconvertor file.cdr file.svg
Again, I've never used it.

I have heard also that if you have uniconvertor then Inkscape will use
it to let it load .cdr files. (I haven't tested this either, as I have
no .cdr files.)

Good luck.

	- Miriam

David Sumbler wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-03-12 at 14:02 -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
>> David Sumbler writes:
>>> All of them installed without difficulty apart from one:
>>> 'sudo apt-get install liblcms2-dev' produces the following error
>>> message:
>>>
>>> ***
>>> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>>> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>>> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>>> or been moved out of Incoming.
>>> The following information may help resolve the situation:
>>>
>>> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>>>   liblcms2-dev : Depends: liblcms2-2 (= 2.2+git20110628-2ubuntu3.1) but
>>> 2.4-0ubuntu3.1~precise1~ppa1 is to be installed
>>> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>> ***
>>>
>>> I do not understand this message, nor what I should do about it.
>>
>> Sometimes using aptitude rather than apt-get can help with this sort
>> of problem. Try: sudo aptitude install liblcms2-dev
>> Sometimes it will give you the dependency error, and then give
>> you a list of things it can try, e.g. removing the liblcms2 you have
>> and installing a different one (and maybe adjusting a few other
>> packages too). It will ask, "Accept this solution?" If you don't
>> accept it (perhaps because it removes something you depend on),
>> you can say n and sometimes aptitude will offer a few other
>> solutions, and one of them might work.
>>
>> But I'm a bit doubtful, looking at the versions of those packages.
>> 2.2+git20110628-2ubuntu3.1 has "git" in the version, which sounds
>> like it's meant to come from a repository tracking lcms's git
>> master instead of Ubuntu's regular repositories.
>>
>> 2.4-0ubuntu3.1~precise1~ppa1 also makes me wonder, because I don't
>> remember seeing things like "ppa1" in Ubuntu versions (but I don't
>> have an Ubuntu running right now to check that), so I wonder if
>> that might be coming from a different nonstandard repository.
>> (A PPA, "Personal Package Archive", is like a mini-repository
>> anyone can set up to distribute software, usually for distributing
>> packages to Ubuntu users that are newer than what Ubuntu provides.)
>>
>> Try this: apt-cache policy liblcms2-2 liblcms2-dev
>> That will tell you what repository those two packages come from
>> by default. If they aren't coming from standard Ubuntu repositories,
>> and if they're not coming from the same repository, that's why
>> apt-get is complaining. There are ways of fixing that, but it
>> depends on why those repositories are there (they're probably
>> specified in /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*).
>
> Thank you for this helpful advice.
>
> 'apt-cache policy liblcms2-2 liblcms2-de' did not seem to show any
> potential problems, so I tried 'sudo aptitude install liblcms2-dev' as
> you suggested and accepted a solution which involved downgrading
> liblcms2-2.

> [...]

As artists, it would be a hell of a lot easier if our audiences were
more tolerant of our penchant for boring them.
   - Cory Doctorow