[Techtalk] Suggestions for new Chrome user

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 03:41:55 UTC 2013

Hey there,

Peggy Russell wrote:

> It seems popular today to remove the status bar and menu (I think
> the shortcut keys remain though) in IDE's. I'm all for
> minimalistic, but I usually get rid of everything else and keep
> those items, so there is something small on the top, bottom, and on
> the left.

Dolphin file manager did something like this, removing all the nice
menu entries at the top of the program and just having an access
button on the upper right corner that opens into a menu when needed.
I'm old fashioned and don't like radical change on my stuff, so I
prefer all the old menus right back up where they used to be. Luckily
they made it possible to restore the behavior I was used to by
enabling panels. I have no idea whether that's a standard, but it's
worth a look through all the options if you want to try and turn them
back on again.

> Maybe we'll get to a day where everyone creates their own IDE with
> drop'n drag widgets. You open up a virtual box and pull out the
> pieces one at a time and hook them together like ikea furniture or
> lincoln logs. :-)

I love this idea, and wish it was true for all the GUI parts of an
operating system so that we get to decide how everything looks and
acts. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.