[Techtalk] Accessing a web page on my server - update 3

Maria McKinley monstermama at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:57:34 UTC 2013

Yes, like Chris says, if userdir is enabled, then any home directory can
have a website. They all use the same hostname and ip, so
www.example.com/~/billiewalsh/ and www.example.com~/otheruser/, or the ip
as below. If you want each to point to a different hostname, then you need
to make a second sites-enabled config file.

~maria

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM, chris <chris.madrone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Billie,
> it sounded like you might have set up your web files in /var/billiewalsh?
> or is that an outdated configuration? :)
>
> If you set up userdir, then the web server will be looking for the web
> files in /home/username -- that's why, when you type the url into the
> browser (http://123.45.6789/~/billiewalsh/),  you can use ~,  it's
> shorthand for /home/  (but of course, this being linux, you can set up
> "home" to be elsewhere)
>
> Once you have userdir working, you can create another user e.g.
>
> useradd -m -c "chris" -s /bin/bash chris
> $passwd chris
>
> The flags create a home directory with skel profile defaults and this
> account is linked to the defaults for bash shell
>
> You or they will have to create the public_html directory (if you create
> it, don't forget to chown it to the user)
>
> hth
> chris
>

> On Feb 5, 2013, at 9:41 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
>
> > Sorry I haven't been in contact much the past couple days. I had some
> more pressing issues that I had to work on. Life is what happens while your
> busy making other plans.
> >
> > Reread everything you all have sent and some more web pages besides and
> now my site is the default site on the server. Making major progress. It's
> hard for this old brain to wrap itself around new information. I suppose
> the easy way would have been to just replace the default "It Works" page
> with my site but that seemed like cheating.
> >
> > What I need to do next is add a second "user" and website for that user.
> >
> > If I create another file for the new user in the "Sites Available"
> directory and enable it without disabling to "bilwalsh" file will that do
> the trick?
> >
> > --
> >
> > “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m
> not sure about the former.”
> > -Albert Einstein

Maria Mckinley
Programmer and System Administrator