[Techtalk] Accessing a web page on my server - update 3

chris chris.madrone at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 01:25:22 UTC 2013

Hi Billie,
it sounded like you might have set up your web files in /var/billiewalsh? or is that an outdated configuration? :)

If you set up userdir, then the web server will be looking for the web files in /home/username -- that's why, when you type the url into the browser (http://123.45.6789/~/billiewalsh/),  you can use ~,  it's shorthand for /home/  (but of course, this being linux, you can set up "home" to be elsewhere)

Once you have userdir working, you can create another user e.g.

useradd -m -c "chris" -s /bin/bash chris
$passwd chris

The flags create a home directory with skel profile defaults and this account is linked to the defaults for bash shell

You or they will have to create the public_html directory (if you create it, don't forget to chown it to the user)

hth
chris