[Techtalk] can i use gmail like imap?

Terry Roy tech at futurecourse.com
Wed Oct 12 15:12:04 UTC 2011

On 11/10/2011 20:10, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Question for Gmail users: can I use Gmail like IMAP? Suppose I have two
> existing email addresses, me at domain.com and metoo at domain.com. I want to keep
> these because they are my business addresses. So can I use a single Gmail
> account as my central mail store and forward to and from these addresses? And
> people sending and receiving mail from me don't see anything different?

I believe it's possible.  See
http://smarterware.org/3628/host-your-domain-email-at-gmail-without-forwarding

The comments in this article also list other possibilities but I haven't
checked them out.

> I'm trying to think of a way to set up a friend who is getting her POP mail on
> three different devices. It used to work OK when her mail volume was low, then
> she made smart use of 'leave messages on server' to keep it synchronized. And
> she wants a central address book. IMAP is an option, but it has its drawbacks,
> so I'm dreaming up various options.
>
> thanks!
> Carla

I've had mixed success doing this with imap.  Works fantastic for
everything but a blackberry using internet mail.  With the BB, deletes
and sends sync most of the time but message status stays unread which
can be a real pain when you've just gone through a lot of messages on
your desktop.  That doesn't happen, of course, with RIM's server.  Also,
if you do a lot of filtering, it's best that it's server side if you're
using a BB.  Otherwise, because of the way BB gets mail from your
accounts, it just grabs it all from the inbox, which is correct because
you hadn't filtered it yet. But not so much fun!

Terry