[Techtalk] Linux mail clients?

carla carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jan 24 05:41:27 UTC 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:35:49 -0800
Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:

> carla writes:
> > Yes, I want Icedove to use my local maildir store, because that
> > holds five years of email messages from Kmail. I don't believe it
> > can.
>
> Sounds like you've settled on Claws, but just in case you ever
> hit this again ...
> Maildir and mbox formats are both pretty simple -- googling
> convert "maildir to mbox" gets lots of hits, including a really tiny
> Python script to do the job:
> http://yergler.net/projects/one-off/maildir-to-mbox/
> I love how Python has libraries for everything!
>
> (The comments on that page are also a good reminder of why
> smartquotes are evil and should die. :-)

There are only about a squillion reasons for homiciding smartquotes :)
Just a little bit of web searching turns up all kinds of methods for
conversion, from setting an IMAP server to scripts that do direct
conversions. Wheefun. Not :) Oh well, at least it's not some
gawdawful .pst disaster.

best,
Carla