[Techtalk] Linux mail clients?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 23 22:16:38 UTC 2011

Ooops, I replied on the wrong list.

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 08:57:37PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> I'm finally giving up on KMail after loving it muchly for lo these
> many years. KDE4 drives me insane and the badness has infected
> KMail. I am very sad. It had many great features like very easy to
> create mail filters, even complex ones, boatloads of configuration
> options, handles multiple accounts and identities with ease, lots of
> one-key shortcuts, and all kinds of goodness.

If you aren't afraid of editing configuration files by hand, then you
might consider using a separate mail filter; that way you don't need to
worry about whether or not your mail client does filtering.  I use
maildrop. It is much easier to configure than procmail - rather than a
cryptic filter definition, it uses straightforward if THIS then DO THAT
configuration.

> I need something that supports templates, handles attachments
> sanely, and that runs nicely over SSH because I use ssh -X a lot. A
> nice clean readable interface, and a good importing tool. Icedove is
> hopeless; it only supports importing from Communicator 4.x. WTF
> people. (Though I should try opening a maildir in it.)

Mutt has already been mentioned, so I guess it's okay to mention it...
Of course it would perform fine over ssh, being a CLI program.
I don't know about importing.  It does support maildir.
It also has other nifty features such as reply-to-mailinglist,
the ability to set different headers in one's reply depending on the
content of the email you're replying to, the ability to set custom
colours to make messages more readable, or to highlight messages with
certain features (for example, my setup colours messages in the index
magenta if they have HTML attachments).  My favourite feature of mutt is
one I haven't been able to find in any other mail client: not just being
able to save mail in a folder named after the sender, but being able
automatically save the sent reply in that same folder, rather than
having all the sent mail in one big folder.  I love this feature because
it keeps one email conversation all together in one spot: their mail, my
reply, their reply etc.

Kathryn Andersen
"Is it working? On your cold. These rhythms promote better
circulation.  Something I picked up from Monbuttu tribe in Kenya. Open
up all those passages.  Sort of like, uh... sonic antihistamine."
	-- Blair Sandburg to Jim Ellison (Sentinel: Night Train)
--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen	<http://www.katspace.org>