[Techtalk] Linux mail clients?

Jennifer oneferna at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 23:02:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Sonja Krause-Harder <krauseha at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:57:37 -0800
> Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
>
> > I just want a nice POP/IMAP mail client with a plain-text address book
> > and that supports maildirs, and that doesn't need mondobytes of
> > dependencies, a database backend, and squillions of processes. You know,
> > like KMail used to be.
>
> I was in a similar situation a few months ago, but with slightly different
> needs: as I'm almost exclusively using a 10 inch netbook for personal
> computing at the moment I was also looking for a client that works on a
> small screen, which ruled out Thunderbird and, IIRC, Claws. Also, all my
> accounts are IMAP now, which ruled out mutt, I know it _can_ do IMAP, but I
> never got accustomed to how it does it. I've tried going back to the roots
> with (al)pine, too, also a major configuration hassle to teach it to handle
> multiple IMAP accounts

Why did your 10 inch machine rule out Thunderbird? I use Thunderbird on a 9
inch dell netbook and it works.

> I had almost resigned to writing my own light-weight IMAP client when I
> found Sylpheed. It's ok, stable, not perfect, but perfectly fine for now.
> Gtk, but due to KDE4 being what it is, I've switched to Gnome anyway.

That is so cool that you would consider writing your own. I won't know where
to begin anymore.

Someone else mentioned filtering. I use procmail filters on my mail server
so I haven't tried Thunderbird's filtering. Apparently I haven't tried a lot
of it's features. I just get mail from multiple accounts, send, use the
addressbook, and sometimes manually file things into other folders. Nothing
fancy.