[Techtalk] Linux mail clients?

Sonja Krause-Harder krauseha at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 17:27:21 UTC 2011

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:57:37 -0800
Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

> I just want a nice POP/IMAP mail client with a plain-text address book
> and that supports maildirs, and that doesn't need mondobytes of
> dependencies, a database backend, and squillions of processes. You know,
> like KMail used to be.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago, but with slightly different needs: as I'm almost exclusively using a 10 inch netbook for personal computing at the moment I was also looking for a client that works on a small screen, which ruled out Thunderbird and, IIRC, Claws. Also, all my accounts are IMAP now, which ruled out mutt, I know it _can_ do IMAP, but I never got accustomed to how it does it. I've tried going back to the roots with (al)pine, too, also a major configuration hassle to teach it to handle multiple IMAP accounts.

I had almost resigned to writing my own light-weight IMAP client when I found Sylpheed. It's ok, stable, not perfect, but perfectly fine for now. Gtk, but due to KDE4 being what it is, I've switched to Gnome anyway.

cheers,
Sonja

--
Sonja Krause-Harder <krauseha at gmail.com>