[Techtalk] Linux mail clients?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Jan 23 23:52:59 UTC 2011

Sonja Krause-Harder writes:
> I had almost resigned to writing my own light-weight IMAP client when...

I've thought about that semi-seriouly too (though I'd be reading
local mbox folders, not IMAP).

There are python bindings that look pretty easy to use to do most
mail-related stuff (folder parsing, sending smtp and so forth).
Sometimes when I get frustrated about mailers I get awfully tempted.

There's also an old mailer called Zmail that used to be the best, a
long long time ago, and it just got open-sourced a year ago. I'm a
co-maintainer of the archive (I was a fan and occasional contributor
way back when, so when I heard the source was being released I
volunteered) but Linux was never a supported platform (it ran on
lots of proprietary Unices), so it needs a little more work to be
solid on Linux, and it's hard to get motivated if there's no one
else who cares.  It has a CLI mode, a curses mode (like mutt or
pine) and a GUI mode (Motif), and it has lots of nice bells and
whistles like job control.  http://code.google.com/p/zmail-2009/

If you ever want to hack on zmail or start a group project to write
a simple mailer, count me in.

	...Akkana