[Techtalk] Linux mail clients?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Jan 23 04:57:37 UTC 2011

Hey all,

I'm finally giving up on KMail after loving it muchly for lo these many
years. KDE4 drives me insane and the badness has infected KMail. I am
very sad. It had many great features like very easy to create mail
filters, even complex ones, boatloads of configuration options, handles
multiple accounts and identities with ease, lots of one-key shortcuts,
and all kinds of goodness.

Now it is a bloaty slow pig that depends on Nepomuk and Akonadi. Way
overkill for me-- I very much do not like when devs lose their minds and
code the equivalent of a 1959 Cadillac. The '59 Caddy is known for
having the biggest fins, the most chrome, and being possibly the most
gaudy, uneconomical, sloppy-handling heaviest passenger car of all time.
I just want a nice POP/IMAP mail client with a plain-text address book
and that supports maildirs, and that doesn't need mondobytes of
dependencies, a database backend, and squillions of processes. You know,
like KMail used to be.

I need something that supports templates, handles attachments sanely,
and that runs nicely over SSH because I use ssh -X a lot. A nice clean
readable interface, and a good importing tool. Icedove is hopeless; it
only supports importing from Communicator 4.x. WTF people. (Though I
should try opening a maildir in it.)

I'm currently testing Icedove (Thunderbird for non-Debian users) and
Balsa. No Evolution for me, I don't need a groupware client that drags
in buttloads of junk I don't use.

  I will give Trinity KDE a try when it's in distro repos. Any other
suggestions? It seems like slim pickings. No I don't use Gmail and don't
want to.

best,
Carla

--