[Techtalk] Problems with remote logins

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed May 19 01:06:47 UTC 2010

David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk> writes:

> Until a few years ago, I regularly used to log in remotely to my home
> desktop computer, which is connected to the internet via a router, using a
> wired ethernet connection.

[...]

> Up until this point, I had been using port 8080, which happens to be the
> default on my NetGear DGN2000 router.  I tried changing this to 8081,
> and, to my astonishment the connection then worked!  When I changed back
> to 8080, again I couldn't access the page.
>
> Can anyone suggest why this might be?

Your ISP has a firewall that blocks access to a set of commonly vulnerable
ports, where ssh, telnet, SMTP, HTTP, and proxy ports are usually on the list.

You may be able to disable that using a tool they provide, or contact their
helpdesk to get it turned off, or you may just have to live with the
restriction.

Many ISPs will only open those ports on a "business" connection, not a home
one.
        Daniel