[Techtalk] automate reset wireless password

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 10 20:48:38 UTC 2010

Hi Meryll

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 12:26 -0700, Meryll Larkin wrote:
> Before I hack my client's wireless router modem supplied by the Phone
> company, I thought I should check to see if anyone on this list knows of an
> existing solution, seems like something like this SHOULD exist.
>
> My client owns a small non-corporate roadside internet cafe and controls
> access to the wireless by providing a password to her customers.  She
> changes the wireless WPA password manually ever week.  She would rather
> supply 10 passwords and have the modem automatically change to the next one
> at the end of the week - and have a script send her an email reminding her
> of the new password.

Most setup's solve this by having the modem open, and running a
authorisation behind it. Only authorised customers will actually be
allowed by the router behind the AP. This supposes a split between AP
and router though...

> She has full access to the network, it is her LAN, but it is the Phone
> company's wireless modem router.

Which is where the problems start. If the unit supports radius you might
solve it that way -- provided it allows to configure a radius server in
the home network.

> Do any of you know if a solution (hardware, software, or combination) for
> something like this already exists, or do I hack into the modem and write a
> perl script to automate changes?

This might be easy, to script the changing of the pre-shared key using
the GUI of the modem. Might actually be the best solution. Setting up
Radius is more difficult, and the other solutions for this are likely
enterprise level and not supported in this residential low cost modem.

No need to actually hack into the modem ;)

Cheers,

Rudy