[Techtalk] Detecting multiple tapes with Dump backup

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Mon Jun 21 15:53:51 UTC 2010

I'm backing up a 300Gb filesystem to an SDLT320 tape and, occasionally, the
weekly level 0 dump will overflow to a second tape.

The same tape is used for a daily level 1 backup using:

mt -f /dev/nst0 eod

to wind to the end of data first.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to detect from the first tape if
the backup overflowed to a second tape so that I can load the second tape
before doing the 'mt eod' bit.  Obviously I cannot ask the dump at the start
of the tape if it overflowed as it will not know at that point.

The tapes are re-used on a 3-monthly basis so it is always possible that the
second tape may have a partial dump already on it so I cannot directly ask
that.

If I do a

mt -f /dev/nst0 eod

followed by a

mt -f /dev/nst0 status

I get flags:

 EOF EOD ONLINE IM_REP_EN

both in the case of a full tape and in the case of a part-full tape.

Any thoughts?

Conor

--
Conor Daly,
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Ta an riomhphost seo, agus aon chomhad ata nasctha leis, faoi run agus is don te a seoladh chuige amhain e. Ma tharla go bhfuair tu an riomhphost seo tri dhearmad cuir in iul don te a sheol e led' thoil.

Ta an teachtaireacht riomhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearrai frithvireas.