[Techtalk] what the heck does this mean!!

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Oct 4 21:24:42 UTC 2009

On Sunday 04 October 2009 12:02:29 am Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 18:19 -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> > Carla Schroder writes:
> > > http://bratgrrl.com/wtf.jpg
> > > What the heck is all this and what can I do about it? Is there some
> > > secret message in all that gobbledegook to tell me how to fix this?
> > >
> > > I have only one 64 Studio kernel so I can't check if it's some kernel
> > > weirdness. Only the mobo and the RAM are new.
> >
> > Sorry, but it is kernel weirdness -- it's a kernel panic message.
> > Something in the 64 Studio kernel can't deal with something about
> > your new motherboard.
>
> Agreed - there's a kernel bug here.
>
> Bear in mind that it's late, I'm guessing wildly and I had three glasses
> of wine with dinner, but tick_handle_periodic sounds like it could be
> timer-related. I don't know what timer configuration the kernel in
> question is built with, though. You could try fiddling with these
> possible kernel parameters:
>
> nohz=off
> nohz=on
> clocksource=jiffies
> clocksource=acpi_pm
>
> again, this are all pretty much WAGs, but on the positive side, they
> shouldn't break anything any worse than it's already broken :)

What the hey, trying new boot options is fun! But alas, in this case
ineffective. I've tried a lot of them, gleaned from lists and forums where
the issue was even remotely related.

I tried a fresh installation of 64 Studio, both 32 and 64 bit, just to get
fresh initrds and what-have-you, and still no joy. I'm going to use Kubuntu
(multiboot on a separate drive) because I have actual work to do, and see if
the 64 Studio devs can come up with an answer. I believe they tweak their
kernels quite a bit, so maybe they have an answer. Kubuntu, even with the rt
kernel, isn't all that great for audio production but it will do for now.

Akkana, if I weren't working so much and short on time I would definitely try
all kinds of fun do-it-myself hacks :)

Miriam, I wish it were a GRUB glitch!

For inquiring minds:

kernel 2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64
64 Studio 3.0 beta 3

motherboard:
ECS A740GM-M (really a warmed-over RS690)
AMD740G north bridge
SB700 south bridge
onboard audio, video (not used), LAN
nVidia GeForce 8400 GS PCI-E video card

I have a gaggle of older kernels in my Kubuntu 8.04 installation and they all
work:

2.6.24-24-rt
2.6.24-24-generic
2.6.24-23-rt