[Techtalk] what the heck does this mean!!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Oct 4 07:02:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 18:19 -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Carla Schroder writes:
> > http://bratgrrl.com/wtf.jpg
> > What the heck is all this and what can I do about it? Is there some secret
> > message in all that gobbledegook to tell me how to fix this?
> >
> > I have only one 64 Studio kernel so I can't check if it's some kernel
> > weirdness. Only the mobo and the RAM are new.
>
> Sorry, but it is kernel weirdness -- it's a kernel panic message.
> Something in the 64 Studio kernel can't deal with something about
> your new motherboard.

Agreed - there's a kernel bug here.

Bear in mind that it's late, I'm guessing wildly and I had three glasses
of wine with dinner, but tick_handle_periodic sounds like it could be
timer-related. I don't know what timer configuration the kernel in
question is built with, though. You could try fiddling with these
possible kernel parameters:

nohz=off
nohz=on
clocksource=jiffies
clocksource=acpi_pm

again, this are all pretty much WAGs, but on the positive side, they
shouldn't break anything any worse than it's already broken :)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey