[Techtalk] Dealing with allegedly respectable company who send spam

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 20:20:49 UTC 2009

Hey there,

Jan wrote:

> I gave them my email as this was how they sent guarantee documents
> for a camera I bought, but I specifically asked about their policy
> of collecting emails for marketing purposes, and also told them
> that I did not want any marketing emails.

I don't have a solution for you, but I recommend that you create
another email account and use that for anyone you don't yet fully
trust. If they earn your trust, you can always give them your main
email address later.

Another option is to tell any company that wants your email address
for necessary paperwork that you don't have one. If they're a
legitimate company, they should be willing to send such paperwork
through normal mail. Of course if they're the type of company you
seem to have encountered, there's always the likelihood that they'd
send junk mail to your home, so sometimes you just can't win. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.