[Techtalk] Dealing with allegedly respectable company who send spam

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Nov 30 20:30:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 19:13 +0000, Jan wrote:
> I'd like some advice on how I can deal with a company who are sending spam
> emails.  There is no means of unsubscribing on their messages and I have
> emailed them as well as telephoning their head office to get my email removed
> from their list.  I gave them my email as this was how they sent guarantee
> documents for a camera I bought, but I specifically asked about their policy of
> collecting emails for marketing purposes, and also told them that I did not
> want any marketing emails.  Now I can't get them to stop bombarding me with
> marketing emails.
>
> Whilst I don't particularly want to do anything that will disrupt their
> business I do want them realise that they are being annoying and would
> appreciate any advice about how to proceed (ie can I get their marketing
> domain on a spam blacklist and if so what steps to I need to take?)
>
> Regards
>
> Jan
> Edinburgh

Assuming that's the Edinburgh in the UK, the UK has legislation which
makes it illegal to do this:

http://www.email-marketing-reports.com/canspam/uk/

I would contact the company with a reference to the legislation listed
there, and request again that they stop sending these emails, making it
clear that they're breaching UK law if they don't.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey