[Techtalk] initrd woes

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Fri Jan 23 22:42:28 UTC 2009

Conor Daly wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:54:39PM -0800 or thereabouts, Maria McKinley wrote:
>> Okay, slightly different tact. Does anyone have a suggestion for a
>> mailing list that is not completely brutal, but may have someone
>> willing/able to answer my question about initrd?
>
> ilug at linux.ie is a pretty knowledgeable and well-behaved list in my
> experience.   Not sure who has initrd experience on there though.
>
> Conor

I figured out the master script for initrd, and exactly where it is
failing. The command that is failing is this:

exec run-init ${rootmnt} ${init} "$@" <${rootmnt}/dev/console
 >${rootmnt}/dev/console

which translates to:
exec run-init /root /sbin/init </root/dev/console >/root/dev/console

I stuck in some echo statements and verified that /root/sbin/init and
/root/dev/console both exist, and if I change the options of exec
run-init I can get it to complain about incorrect syntax, so it seems to
be able to find the command okay. Not sure what this is suppose to do
exactly, or how. Does anyone know anything about exec run-init?

thanks,
maira