[Techtalk] Default .jpg icon replaces thumbnail

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Wed Dec 23 18:02:29 UTC 2009

Hello, all,

Following on from my thread 'Writing to a CD-RW' I found multi-session
recording a viable alternative.

But ...

When viewing the CD's contents in Nautilus _some_ (but not all) of the
picture icons (thumbnails) revert to a default .jpg icon, ie no
thumbnail. The pictures open and display normally.

I am certain this is not related to the size setting in the Nautilus
options, but it is definitely the same files each time that I view the
CD.

If I copy one of the 'no show' files from CD to the desktop, the
thumbnail shows up fine.

No memory problems on my machine, nothing obvious, plain closed session
CDs have not exhibited this behavior although I don't have a huge
inventory to back up that statement as pointing to the multi-session
method as the villain. I don't see that it can be anything to do with
the individual CD per se as two examples exhibit the same behavior.

Where does the thumbnail come from? Is it stored with the main image or
does Nautilus generate it on the fly?

Any bright ideas please?

thanks
Anne