[Techtalk] Dealing with allegedly respectable company who send spam

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue Dec 1 22:14:44 UTC 2009

Kathryn Hogg writes:
> You can do that using the +mailbox syntax
>
> user+mailbox at mydomain.com

Wow, I can't believe I've had that available all this time and not
known it. I've been making new aliases and adding them to
/etc/aliases.

But with postfix, if I use this, can I then shut off addresses that
are getting spam? I mean shut them down totally so postfix gives a
"no such user" error and I don't have to procmail-filter them at all?

And one other question -- if this is something people use commonly,
wouldn't spammers have long since gotten wise to it, and when they
buy a mailing list that has user+anything at host.com, they'd also
include user at host.com with the +anything part removed? If I were a
spammer I'd certainly do that. So is it really any safer to use
user+anything at host than just to use user at host?

	...Akkana