[Techtalk] Dealing with allegedly respectable company who send spam

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Dec 1 14:10:47 UTC 2009

Most modern e-mail programs either have a spam filter built in or one
that can be added on. In a very short time they can be trained what you
think is spam and what you want to see. My e-mail provider has one at
their end and Thunderbird has a good one. For nineteen years I've used
the same e-mail address. I get _TONS_ , _KILOTONS_ EVEN_ , of spam.
Between the two spam filters almost none of it gets into my inbox. Maybe
two or three a week. If it weren't for those filters my address would be
unusable. So look for the spam filter settings and turn them on. That
will help you a lot. If your e-mail doesn't have a spam filter, use
something else that does.

I look through my junk mail every so often in case something I want to
see slips through into the wrong place. That way the filter learns what
I want trashed and what I want to see.

Make sure you have the "Add Address I Reply to My Address Book" turned
off to. Spam filters use that to see if something should come through.
Clean out your address book to get rid of all the old unneeded address's
that have accumulated. If it's not someone you write to all the time you
don't need it in your address book.

Never NEVER _NEVER_  reply to one of those spam messages. _DO_NOT_ send
the please stop letter. They know they have a live address if you do.
They may "officially" stop sending you e-mails but they then give your
live address to every other spam list in the world and your load doubles.

The best place for spam is the junk file until it is checked, and then
trash.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop