[Techtalk] LAN IP addresses changed after router reset

Sarah Newman newmans at sonic.net
Wed May 14 05:53:44 UTC 2008

What router are you using?

A lot of routers default to 192.168.1.1 as their IP.

If it bothers you to have the IP addresses change, it is often possible
to assign an IP address to a given MAC.

Usually the router can tell you itself what devices are connected.
Otherwise nmap can be used to scan for devices on the network.

We have a WRT54G and flashed it with new firmware to support some of the
above features.  You might have that option with your router too if it
doesn't already have them (but be prepared to buy another router if that
doesn't work.)