[Techtalk] LAN IP addresses changed after router reset

Berenice showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 11:46:10 UTC 2008

Hi Sarah

I'm using a Billion 7401VGP router/modem.
It says that the active pcs in my LAN are:
192.168.1.3 (windows box)
192.168.1.4 (iBook)
192.168.1.5 (debian box)

Pinging 192.168.1.1 and 2 got a "request timed out" result. Pinging the router
(254) works fine, so if 192.168.1.1 were also the router IP it should reply.

An Nmap scan on 192.168.1.1 and 2 said "host appears to be down".

What puzzles me is why my computers suddenly changed IP addresses. I've had
this router for a while and the IP addresses have remained the same whenever
I've restarted the router.

The reason I prefer to have my boxes numbered 1,2,3 is that it's easier to
remember. I've also recently set up a samba share on the Debian box, and
changing IP addresses may affect it (I'm going to check the smb.conf later. I
don't know exactly how samba was configured because it was done automatically
when I installed Debian).

cheers
Berenice

www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail