[Techtalk] LAN IP addresses changed after router reset

Berenice showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 05:35:08 UTC 2008

Hi All

This morning I reset my router/modem because I forgot the password.
Now I've found that the IP addresses in my home network have been changed, and
I don't know why.  Perhaps someone here might know.

The IP range I use is: 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254
254 is the router.

Previously the assigned addresses for computers in my network were:
iBook = 1
Windows XP box = 2
Debian box = 3

Now they are:
Windows XP box = 3
iBook = 4
Debian box = 5

How can I find out which devices, if any, are now using 1 and 2?
Also my iBook is now connected to the LAN via ethernet instead of the usual
wireless (this was to troubleshoot connecting to a samba share on the debian
box, which is another problem I might post about later).  Might that have
something to do with the renumbering?

Thanks
Berenice

www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail