[Techtalk] Asus EeePC

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Mon Jun 23 07:50:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:46:34PM -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
> Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 09:26:33PM -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
> > Well, there's eeebuntu, and there's eeeXubuntu, and I haven't used the
> > former.
>
> Hmm, didn't realize we were talking about two different things.

Ubuntu uses the GNOME desktop by default; Xubuntu uses the Xfce desktop
by default.  Otherwise they're basically the same.

> > 1) the wireless only works if you download and build the latest madwifi
> >   drivers (and one has to re-do this every time you upgrade the kernel)
> >

> That seems odd. My only experience with wireless has been on my two
> other, full size, laptops. One uses an Atheros PCMCIA card and the other
> is a built in Intel card. Madwifi was always just available. No
> compiling necessary. That could be a difference in distros but I
> wouldn't expect it between EeeXubuntu and Kubuntu. I would think they
> used pretty much the same repositories.

The distro does have the madwifi drivers, but the eeePC needs a more
recent version than the distro has.

> > 2) the problem with the SD card + suspend came back, and I didn't want to
> >   patch the kernel myself.
> >
> > However, I did manage, after googling, to come up with a compromise for
> > point #2, by adding the following option to my grub config:
> >
> > usbcore.autosuspend=1
> >
> > What this does is that every time you suspend, it unmounts the SD card.
> > This means that you have to re-mount it when you come back from suspend,
> > but that's a lot better than the state it would get into before, when it
> > was neither mounted nor unmounted and one would have to reboot in order
> > to get it into a usable state.
> >
> > So, those two things are niggly things, but I'm willing to put up with
> > them.  And the second one isn't an issue unless one wishes to keep an SD
> > card in the machine all the time as extra "disk" space.
>
> Keeping in the 8gig SD card for me seems like a "have-to-have". The
> original 4gig "drive" is pretty much full. I would like to move "Home"
> there if it's possible.

I think it's inadvisable to move Home to the SD card; if you have
problems with access to the SD card, then you won't have your
configuration settings accessable.  Just use /home for configurations
(to keep the size minimal) and use the SD area to put your working files
onto (whether that's documents, or images or whatever).  It isn't
essential that such files be in your home directory, it's just
convenient.  And you could set up a soft link to the SD area if you
want.  That's basically what I do.

And if the 4gig drive is full, what is it full of?  There may be some
things you can remove.  I removed OpenOffice.org, for example, because
it took up a lot of space.

Kathryn Andersen