[Techtalk] Asus EeePC

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Mon Jun 23 13:09:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 05:50:37PM +1000 or thereabouts, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:46:34PM -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
> >
> > Keeping in the 8gig SD card for me seems like a "have-to-have". The
> > original 4gig "drive" is pretty much full. I would like to move "Home"
> > there if it's possible.
>
> And if the 4gig drive is full, what is it full of?  There may be some
> things you can remove.  I removed OpenOffice.org, for example, because
> it took up a lot of space.

The default Xandros install on the eeePC uses a 'unionfs' filesystem with a
~1.6Gb read-only partition and the remainder of the 4Gb as a writeable
partition.  When you do a software update, the new version's files end up on
the writeable partition and, via the unionfs, mask the old version's files
which are on the read-only partition.  The result of this is that upgrading
software uses up extra disk space rather than re-using it.

Removing OpenOffice.org from the default install will probably not free up
any space.

Kathryn, what is the filesystem in use by eeeXubuntu?  Does it dispense with
the unionfs read-only bit?

Conor
--
Conor Daly,
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Ta an riomhphost seo, agus aon chomhad ata nasctha leis, faoi run agus is don te a seoladh chuige amhain e. Ma tharla go bhfuair tu an riomhphost seo tri dhearmad cuir in iul don te a sheol e led' thoil.

Ta an teachtaireacht riomhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearrai frithvireas.