[Techtalk] Lilo error message

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Wed Jul 30 21:38:48 UTC 2008

Hi, Michelle,

I have been sleeping on this one, read below.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 21:52:04 +0200
Michelle wrote:

|> Hello Anne,
|>
|> Am 2008-07-02 22:37:32, schrieb Anne Wainwright:
|> > Hi, again,  :)
|>
|> Mee toooooooooooooo...........
|>
|> > On an old dosbox I have dual boot linux. my very first! I use it to boot
|> > into linux to connect to the network so I can move some files over.
|> > Debian potatoe version, terminal only, no GUI.
|>          Potato
|>          Pomme de Terre
|>          Erdapfel
|>          Kartoffel

	    Aartappel

|> > I made a small change to the liloconf file (to put up a message at boot
|> > time). I then ran lilo as proper after any changes and got the
|> > message:
|>
|> So you have set
|>
|> install=menu

actually it says

install=/boot/boot.b

stranger and stranger, the item that i changed (added) was

message=1 for linux or 3 for dos

(idea was to give a prompt for the clueless slave working on that machine under Dos)
(idea was to give a prompt without touching anything)

and when I push Tab I get

Dos   1        Linux   3

odd because the options are most definitely set the other way around, 3 for Dos and 1 for Linux, I use it often enough to know that without even looking. I made a list of all the  uncommented settings

lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda2
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
message=1 for Linux ....... as above
prompt
single-key
delay=20
timout=120
vga=normal
default=Dos

and of course the option Dos and Linux loading sections. Really, none of this has been touched that I am aware of, only the message was added. Just thought, I'll take the line out and report back, sensible thing to do.

bestest
Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(