[Techtalk] Lilo error message

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Thu Jul 3 19:52:04 UTC 2008

Hello Anne,

Am 2008-07-02 22:37:32, schrieb Anne Wainwright:
> Hi, again,  :)

Mee toooooooooooooo...........

> On an old dosbox I have dual boot linux. my very first! I use it to boot
> into linux to connect to the network so I can move some files over.
> Debian potatoe version, terminal only, no GUI.
         Potato
         Pomme de Terre
         Erdapfel
         Kartoffel

> I made a small change to the liloconf file (to put up a message at boot
> time). I then ran lilo as proper after any changes and got the
> message:

So you have set

install=menu

Behhhh, - Anne, this works only in Woody and  higher.  For  "Slink"  and
"Potato" you must use the full path like:

install=/boot/menu

> Fatal: open 1: No such file or directory

Lilo from Potato require the path.   :-)

----[ manpage 'lilo.conf' ]---------------------------------------------
LILO.CONF(5)                                              LILO.CONF(5)

NAME
       lilo.conf - configuration file for lilo
<snip>
       install=<user-interface>
              Selects the user interface which will be  seen  at  boot
              time.   One of the following three options may be speci-
              fied:  text, menu, or bmp. The traditional  LILO  inter-
              face  is  'text';  but 'menu' is now the default, unless
              the configurtion file contains the 'bitmap='  specifica-
              tion.   The  text  interface  is strictly a command-line
              interface as though the console were  a  dumb  terminal.
              The  menu  interface  is a text-based screen of the boot
              choices, with the option  to  enter  additional  command
              line  parameters.   And the bmp interface is a menu pre-
              sented against a graphic screen, specified as a  640x480
              BitMaP  file  of  16  or 256 colors.  (See the 'lilo -E'
              switch for editing options).

              (Prior to LILO version 22.3,  'install='  specified  the
              user interface as a file in the '/boot' directory.)

And since you are using Potato with an outdated LILO  version  prior  to
22.3...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)