[Techtalk] application suggestions appreciated

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sun Apr 20 21:37:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 08:04:04AM -0400, Laura nmi Michaels wrote:
> I'd love to hear of some applications that work well on older computers.
> I'm looking for substitutes to programs like Audacity, DVD Styler, Gimp,
> Pidgin and Open Office.  I've done several searches on the web and checked
> other Linux distributions designed for older systems.  Would very much like
> to hear what other Linux users find are their favorite applications that
> don't take up too many resources or don't require a ton of libraries to
> build.

AbiWord is much less of a space hog than Open Office.

I don't think there's any good substitute for Gimp.

Replacing Audacity.... well, you might look at some of the ncurses or
command-line ones, I'm not sure which would be best.

You might also consider what window manager you use -- if you're using
KDE, it doesn't run so well on older smaller computers, and takes up a
lot of space.  Try one of the more lightweight window managers, like
Xfce, Fluxbox or fvwm-crystal.

Kathryn Andersen