[Techtalk] application suggestions appreciated

Laura nmi Michaels lauramic at tfn.net
Sun Apr 20 12:04:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've been using Linux on and off at work and at home.  I've used it more at
work than at home, because I usually have a problem getting Linux installed
and working with my hardware.  Recently decided to take an old laptop that
could no longer handle the latest version of Windows and get Linux running
on it.  Was able to get a version of DeLi Linux up and running without too
many complications and it seems to have no problem with the hardware, since
it's an older machine.  Was figuring I could just take all the cross-
platform applications I run on Windows machines and get them working on DeLi
Linux.  Was in for quite a surprise.  Many of them do not work or take up
too much space.

I'd love to hear of some applications that work well on older computers.
I'm looking for substitutes to programs like Audacity, DVD Styler, Gimp,
Pidgin and Open Office.  I've done several searches on the web and checked
other Linux distributions designed for older systems.  Would very much like
to hear what other Linux users find are their favorite applications that
don't take up too many resources or don't require a ton of libraries to
build.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Laura