[Techtalk] Auto-responders

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Sat May 12 04:22:58 UTC 2007

On 12-May-07, at 12:03 AM, Gareth Anderson wrote:
> I don't really use auto-responders very often but if I did, how do I
> configure it to not reply to mailing lists?
> Do you have to create some kind of blacklist for the auto-responder?

Mailing lists are sent with some special headers, including this one:

A properly configured auto-responder will ignore any message sent out
with Precedence: list (or bulk, I think).   You shouldn't have to
create any special blacklists if your auto-responder is smart enough
to understand this header.

I suspect the vast majority of mail clients with vacation programs
are set up to do this correctly  (It's probably in the RFCs related
to mail.) but fairly regularly someone sets up a quick hack to do it
themselves, or downloads some random freeware or something and they
end up accidentally spamming a lot of people (hundreds per mailing
list if they reply to the list, or just the people who send mail to
the list if they successfully respond to sender instead).   It's
enough of a problem that it's part of why many mailing lists don't
automatically send replies to the list by setting the reply-to:
line.  (I watched a list send out hundreds and hundreds of messages
as someone's rogue vacation program responded to someone, then
responded to its response, then to the response to the response and
so on...)

This is kinda off-topic for courses, though, so please direct any
further discussion on this topic to techtalk.

  Teri