[Techtalk] editing of .asp files

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Mon May 7 01:06:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 10:30:14AM +1000, Miriam English wrote:
> >So far the only tool we have found is "vim" or any other simple text
> >editor. Is there something that understands .asp?
>
> I have been looking for a good programming editor on Linux myself, and
> many have recommended Vim to me. Over some time now I've been migrating
> from MSWindows to Linux, but have found nothing to come even close to
> the ease of use and capability of TextPad http://textpad.com and have
> recently even set it up to work under Wine on Linux.

> The things I use the most are the easily configurable syntax
> highlighting, the clip libraries, and the regexp search and replace.

Vim has syntax highlighting, but I've never tried writing a syntax file.
But I wouldn't be surprised if most languages don't already have syntax
files written by other people, either in the core or downloadable from
the vim website (www.vim.org).

Vim's search and replace understands regexp.
People do tend to find vim's terse commands a bit confusing.
There's a project called "Cream For Vim" (http://cream.sourceforge.net)
which is a set of configurations and plugins for Vim to make it more
similar to other editors (and thus easier for naive users to use).

> The clip libraries are a great way to build up programs out of pieces
> and reduce your typing and number of typos. Once again they are simple
> text files. The items in a clip library appear in a list and clicking on
> them inserts their text at the cursor. When writing VRML worlds I find
> this very useful as VRML is far more verbose than it needs to be and I
> get sick of typing similar things over and over again. I can create an
> entire skeletal world just by clicking on a single item in my cliplib.

That sounds cool.  I wonder if anyone's done something similar for Vim?
Mind you, I suppose one could just do something similar by saving your
own clips in some known spot and just reading them in, but having them
available in a list makes it just that little more convenient.

Kathryn Andersen