[Techtalk] editing of .asp files

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Mon May 7 00:30:14 UTC 2007

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Does anyone here know of a good tool to edit web .asp files?
>
> So far the only tool we have found is "vim" or any other simple text
> editor. Is there something that understands .asp?

I have been looking for a good programming editor on Linux myself, and
many have recommended Vim to me. Over some time now I've been migrating
from MSWindows to Linux, but have found nothing to come even close to
the ease of use and capability of TextPad http://textpad.com and have
recently even set it up to work under Wine on Linux.

You can try it for free for as long as you want, but only costs about
$50 or so when you decide you want to keep it. It would take me ages to
list all the conveniences of this neat program.

The things I use the most are the easily configurable syntax
highlighting, the clip libraries, and the regexp search and replace. It
also has saveable macro record-playback, though unfortunately doesn't
use a standard scripting language for this -- it records keystrokes and
allows some use of regexp terms inside them. I presume the lack of a
generalised scripting language is because of the insecurity of Windows.

The syntax highlighting files are ordinary text files and very simply
laid out. I have made a number for myself and usually modified the ones
I downloaded. There are hundreds of handy syntax (and other) files for
TextPad contributed by its large userbase. This lets it immediately
understand almost any programming language in existence.

The clip libraries are a great way to build up programs out of pieces
and reduce your typing and number of typos. Once again they are simple
text files. The items in a clip library appear in a list and clicking on
them inserts their text at the cursor. When writing VRML worlds I find
this very useful as VRML is far more verbose than it needs to be and I
get sick of typing similar things over and over again. I can create an
entire skeletal world just by clicking on a single item in my cliplib.

TextPad comes in a native Dutch version too.

TextPad has many other wonderful capabilities, but one it doesn't have
is ctags, which I sorely miss since my old Amiga days when I used it
constantly. It is the main reason I am still considering Vim.

Hope this is some help.
(By the way, I have no connection with TextPad other than being a
satisfied user for many years.)

Best wishes,

	- Miriam