[Techtalk] RE: Content Management Systems

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 10 20:46:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 07:39:04AM -0500, Linda de Boer wrote:
> One other item that I can't seem to find a solid answer on, is if you
> can actually take something like  Drupal, create the website, but export
> it to another server that doesn't have any drupal setup on it.

Well, one way that would probably work for any CMS (so long as you don't
mind having a static site) is to

1. set up the CMS on your own webserver
2. use wget to grab a snapshot of the entire website; the -r (recursive) and
   -k (change links) options would be the way to go
3. use ftp or rsync to copy the snapshot to its final destination

But if you are going to have a static site in the end, then Drupal or
other dynamic-pages CMSs are probably the wrong tools for you.

Kathryn Andersen