[Techtalk] RE: Content Management Systems

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 10 20:58:00 UTC 2007

Quoting Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org>:
> 2. use wget to grab a snapshot of the entire website
> 3. use ftp or rsync to copy the snapshot to its final destination
>
> But if you are going to have a static site in the end, then Drupal or
> other dynamic-pages CMSs are probably the wrong tools for you.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I have a couple of systems that have dynamic
admin interfaces and then they export to static html. As long as you
don't need to do a lot of "it has to be posted THIS MINUTE" updates,
having a CMS that periodically publishes to static html can be a good
combo. You have the nice editing interface of the CMS but without
having your live site tied to the overhead and database uptime
requirement of most CMSs.

I have also used wget as a backup strategy for technology I wasn't
completely sure of. When I was getting started with Zope, I set up a
cron job to wget a site and commit any changes to CVS. That way I
could tell what changed AND I could recover from any changes using
tools I was more comfortable with.

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu