[Techtalk] [Volunteers] [General inquiries] posting to the mailing lists?

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 9 00:03:49 UTC 2007

Wynke Stulemeijer wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 09:12:05PM +0000, marilyn at anyawos.com wrote:
>
>> mwulf sent a message using the contact form at
>> http://www.linuxchix.org/contact.
>>
>> I've had trouble sending a message to techtalk at linuxchix.org.  I've been
>> receiving emails from the list for a couple of weeks, so I know I'm
>> subscribed.  My first try at sending a message was from an address which
>> was not the one I subscribed with,
I've noticed that first message and let it through this morning (from
unsubscribed address).

I've also seen it arrive in my inbox from the list, together with your
later post from you.

Judging from the emails i find from you in my inbox, most has been
coming from the non-subscribed address, so i'm not the only one who has
let them through :)

>> but I fixed that and tried again.  Still
>> haven't seen my messages show up.  Is there some procedure for submitting a
>> message to the mailing list?
>>

> Hi Marilyn,
>
> Am I correct in concluding that the problem is that while you receive
> e-mails from the mailing list, you have not received the e-mails that
> you have sent to it yourself?
>
> I believe that the mailing list is configured in such a way that it
> does not send the e-mail you send back to you. I have checked my
> techtalk mailbox, and I do see several e-mails from you there. So, my
> guess is that everything went as it should, except that it is
> confusing not to receive your own mail.
>
> If you go to the mailing lists page and enter your e-mail address in
> the 'unsubscribe or edit options' form, you will get a list of
> settings you can change. One of them (the fourth, I believe) is
> 'Receive your own posts to the list?' - if you set this to 'yes', you
> will receive a copy of the mail you send to the mailing list.

Just checked you account settings, and there *current*  (00:45 CET)
settings are  such that you  should be receiving copies on your own
email address.

I do not fully understand what is happening though, as the email from
the unsubscribed address should have reached your subscribed email
address anyway...

Copying this to Techtalk as well, so you can check whether it arrives.
I've used your non-subscribed email to reach you directly on this one.
If i had used the subscribed email address, you still would not know
whether this would arrived correctly or not (mailman will do its best to
prevent duplicates reaching you).
> I hope this helps...
>
> Regards,
>
> Wynke.