[Techtalk] Screen position

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Sat Dec 8 23:08:11 UTC 2007

There seems to be a bug in the kernel for Ubuntu 7.10 which means that
the virtual consoles don't work if you have a vga boot option.

I tried a fix that someone suggested, and it now works OK, except for
one thing: the X screen is offset about half an inch to the right
compared to the console screens.

My monitor has an auto-adjust button, which can be used to centre the
displayed screen correctly, but obviously it is a nuisance having to use
this (and wait for the 3 or 4 seconds it takes to complete) every time I
change from the GUI to a console or vice versa.

After a lot of looking in books that I have, and searching various
on-line forums etc. I am nowhere near to finding a solution.  And yet
surely there must be some way of adjusting the position of either the
consoles or the X display (I don't mind which) so that they coincide.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

David

--
David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk>