[Techtalk] /boot partition deleted from table

Doc Nielsen docnielsen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 00:16:33 UTC 2007

you should pop in a rescue cd of some sorts, like knoppix or ubuntu live cd.

you can go places with the grub prompt, but not restore removed partitions.
the tool you want to get your hands on is
testdisk - Partition scanner and disk recovery tool
I used that to restore the partitions on a faulty disk, and it got the
table back, restored the partitions, so i was able to copy everything
out and then send the drive flying.

another option is to reinstall the linux of your choice on the third
partition, and then use the new grub to get windows and macos back
running.

if you need live help with this, i'm on the irc channel most of the evening.

-Doc

On 4/8/07, Cristina Ingram <compscicris at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope someone can help me with this one.
>
> I found information on loading Mac OS X x86 on a pc with Win and Linux.  I
> thought I would give it a try since I have been in love with the Mac
> interface.  I started repartitioning my hard drive since Mac needs to be
> installed on the second primary partition after xp and moving things around
> was difficult so I decided to get rid of my Fedora Core 6 install and just
> reinstall it after I put Mac on.  Well, in doing so, I also deleted (from
> the table, not overwriting it) the /boot partition that had grub and the xp
> boot.  Now my computer can't boot xp or anything.  The commandline I get is:
>

> Gnu Grub version 0.97 (637K lower / 456640K upper memory)
>
> [Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists
> possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
> completions of a device/filename.]
>
> grub>_
>
> I have tried many of the commands to see if anything works and I get
> basically nothing of help except;
>
> kernel must be loaded
>
> Well, I can't find the devices to load the kernel.
>
> If anyone has any clue to what I need to do other than reinstall xp, I would
> be thankful.  I have so much software and time invested in it that I was
> dumb to not backup while I tried my experiment.  I guess I was so excited
> about this that I just didn't think it necessary since all the times I
> installed Linux I had no major problems.
>
> By the way, this was an experiment on my own machine.  If this were work I
> would definitely back up everything.
>
> Thanks, and I am glad we have this resource to help us along.
>
> --
> Cristina Ingram

> to decode:  http://ebb.org/ungeek/

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced