[Techtalk] help meee epson scanner Dapper die hotplug die

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Jun 7 14:56:54 EST 2006

Carla Schroder writes:
> - used to be changing the /proc permissions, like chmod
> a+rw /proc/bus/usb/[scanner]/[id] would let ordinary users run scans. But
> that does not work anymore.
>
> Sooo. What to do? I'd like to know how to control usb hotplug, for starters,

Unfortunately anything you've learned about hotplug is now obsolete,
because Dapper replaces hotplug with udev.

So you need to go to /etc/udev/rules.d and look for your scanner.
On my Dapper system, the scanners are all in 45-libsane.rules.
You'll see a bunch of lines like:

# Epson Corp.|Perfection 2400 Photo
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="011b", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"

(that's my scanner). The MODE="664" is how the scanner gets set to
be group-writable when it gets plugged in. But I don't see any
Epsons numbered 4800, so there's apparently no entry for your scanner.

If you can find out the vendor and product IDs your scanner reports
when you plug it in (lsusb should tell you that, or usbview if you
prefer your USB IDs all gooey) you can make a line for it there.
(And if it works, file a bug asking for your line to be included,
of course.)

> since it is a source of continual vexation. And I want to know why TF aren't
> basic functions like scanning and printing on supported effing devices
> working right yet on effing Linux, and where is the effing sekkrit
> documentation for usb hotplug. <growl>

Wouldn't it be nice if they actually wrote documentation for this
stuff when they yanked old working systems out and replaced them
with brand new systems? But in any case, don't waste your time
looking for the nonexistent sekkrit hotplug documentation, when
what you need is the nonexistent sekkrit udev documentation.

--
	...Akkana
    Check out my book, "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional".