[Techtalk] unix to linux migration- why?

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Fri Jul 14 22:03:23 UTC 2006

Hi again,

> Which one gives you better administration tools? I am completely
> Unix-ignorant, so bear with me. I get the impression that the
> commercial unixes do not have nice dependency-resolving installers
> like Ports, Yum or apt-get, and that development is slow to stagnant,
> so you don't get fun new stuff a lot like you do with Linux/BSDs.
> Less hardware support. ?

I go on from the post that should hit the mailing list soon :
Nowadays, you can have apache, tomcat, webmin, ... on hp-ux too, and
the admin tools are stable and often do not need any update.
Moreover there are public available packages for all things you need,
at places like these : http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/
Now, as pointed out elsewhere, you cannot run hp-ux in a vmware as a
caged operating system. Also the above mentionned software packages
sometimes are not fully up-to-date.

On one hand, TCO and ROI are (sometimes) good reasons for Linux.
On the other hand, peace of mind is something you may want to pay (as
"peace of mind" is otherwise priceless ...)

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Human Robot Inside.