[Techtalk] unix to linux migration- why?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Jul 14 21:10:45 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 13:47, Conor Daly wrote:
> Re: [Techtalk] unix to linux migration- why?
>  From: Conor Daly <conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org>
>  To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 12:22:25PM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
> Carla Schroder thought:
> > My little geekpersons, I am researching why anyone would want to ditch
their
> > nice muscular Unix server- AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, whatever-the-hey- for some
> > ratty lil hippie OS like Linux or one of the BSDs. I will stipulate that
> > Linux/BSD are proven as good enough for just about anything; so what other
> > reasons would compel such a move?
>
> Cost.

Which one gives you better administration tools? I am completely
Unix-ignorant, so bear with me. I get the impression that the commercial
unixes do not have nice dependency-resolving installers like Ports, Yum or
apt-get, and that development is slow to stagnant, so you don't get fun new
stuff a lot like you do with Linux/BSDs. Less hardware support.
?