[Techtalk] unix to linux migration- why?

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 14 21:41:02 UTC 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 3:22 PM, Carla Schroder wrote:

> My little geekpersons, I am researching why anyone would want to
> ditch their
> nice muscular Unix server- AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, whatever-the-hey-
> for some
> ratty lil hippie OS like Linux or one of the BSDs. I will stipulate
> that
> Linux/BSD are proven as good enough for just about anything; so
> what other
> reasons would compel such a move?

Lower support costs, lower hardware costs, better tools (the tools on
many commercial Unixes are based on much older versions, and often
lack many options found in the GNU equivalents), better package
management, the ability to run on the same physical machine as
Windows via virtual machine software.

Lower support costs are the biggest one, for management -- over the
lifetime of a system, support and licensing costs tend to be much,
much greater than hardware costs.

Travis S. Casey           efindel at earthlink.net
I am an evil kitten!  Mew-ha-ha!