[Techtalk] /usr Partition

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Thu Jan 19 21:11:58 EST 2006

On 2006-01-19 19:16:58 +1100, Mary said:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> > and if it is database intensive work, depending on the distro, the
> > data will be stored either in /var or /usr - so you have to make
> > allowances for that. I use postgresql a lot, and my mandrake stores
> > that on var - so i have a separate partition for /var
>
> I can see why it would be an advantage to have a different *drive* for
> /var when you host databases on it (a dedicated drive means dedicated
> reads and writes that aren't interupted by things trying to read / or
> /usr or /home), but why is that a good argument for a separate partition
> on a single physical drive?

There is certain data I would like to keep in case of a reinstallation,
e.g. my own data (/home), webdata (e.g. /var/www), logs (/var/log) and
databases (wherever), so I usually put them on different partitions - at
least on servers, of any kind. Depending on what kind of server this is,
it may be put on one or several partitions.
(I also back up data before a reinstallation, but it's convenient not
HAVING to restore from some external storage.)

At home I have /, /home, /var and /tmp; at school I only have / and
/home, since it's not a server (except sshd).

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.