[Techtalk] /usr Partition

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Thu Jan 19 21:34:31 EST 2006

On Thursday 19 Jan 2006 1:46 pm, Mary wrote:
> > allowances for that. I use postgresql a lot, and my mandrake
> > stores that on var - so i have a separate partition for /var
>
> I can see why it would be an advantage to have a different
> *drive* for /var when you host databases on it (a dedicated drive
> means dedicated reads and writes that aren't interupted by things
> trying to read / or /usr or /home), but why is that a good
> argument for a separate partition on a single physical drive?

now that you ask, doesnt seem to be any argument for this ;-). I
started doing it when i upgraded from a 4 gb harddisk to a 6 gb one
and, i think, i did it so i could keep an eye on how much
space /var was taking. Since then i have just been following '/',
'/home' and '/var' as separate partitions

--
regards
kg

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lawgon