[Techtalk] /usr Partition

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Jan 19 19:16:58 EST 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> and if it is database intensive work, depending on the distro, the
> data will be stored either in /var or /usr - so you have to make
> allowances for that. I use postgresql a lot, and my mandrake stores
> that on var - so i have a separate partition for /var

I can see why it would be an advantage to have a different *drive* for
/var when you host databases on it (a dedicated drive means dedicated
reads and writes that aren't interupted by things trying to read / or
/usr or /home), but why is that a good argument for a separate partition
on a single physical drive?

-Mary