[Techtalk] Copying a file + archive to one file

Becky Brewer beckysue74 at cox.net
Fri Feb 24 02:22:24 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

I am somewhat of a Linux newbie - just getting back into it after a couple
of years on MS systems.  I'm trying to copy a file plus a zip archive into
one file (an exe), and from what I've read the cp command is not able to do
this.   In DOS, the command I would use to perform this action is:

copy /B myapp.exe+myzip.zip mynewapp.exe

I know that two or more files may be copied to a directory using the cp
command, but have not found any documentation indicating that two files may
be copied into the third in Linux, as they could be in DOS.  The mv command
seems to work the same way.

Am I missing something?  Is there another command that I am not aware of
that is capable of performing this action?  This needs to be a command-line
operation, and I am running Redhat 9 on this machine.  Any advice would be
appreciate - TIA!

Becky