[Techtalk] Problems Compiling XFree86

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Sep 12 10:18:22 EST 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005, Maluvia wrote:
> make[2] Makefile.proto: No such file or directory.
> make[2] *** No rule to make target 'Makefile.proto'. STOP
> make[1] [depend.bootstrap] Error 2
> make: *** [World] Error 2

[snip]

> If anyone can point me in the right direction towards solving this I
> would be immensely grateful.

Error text is, while not always useful, the right place to start. So,
the error in question is "Makefile.proto: No such file or directory." Is
there such a file? Is there a file with a similar name? (If you've
already looked at this stuff, it's useful to let us know -- I'd be
surprised if anyone here has done exactly what you're doing now, so we
may be groping about in the dark for a while.)

-Mary